At Home Column - Red-dy Steady Girl!




I’ve been blonde for eight years after a lifetime of brown hair. But recently I took the plunge to become a redhead! Do you like it? I love this colour – it’s very subtle but it warms up my complexion a bit and I’ve been told it brings out my eyes. So what made me take the plunge you ask? It’s one of those ‘life stage’ things.

You’ve heard of women who at the end of a long relationship have a drastic haircut, or when they move house change their whole décor style? Well my life stage is the end of the baby years at Business Mum’s house!

My son started full time school last month and so for the first time in eight years, I once again have control over my days. When he was in nursery I had to be aware of the clock if I went anywhere in the morning because I’d need to be back for 11.45am to collect him. The afternoon was the same as I’d have the school collection for my daughter so I’d have to think about the times I made appointments and couldn’t travel very far. Now my days have opened up and I can even meet a friend for a leisurely lunch!

Having six un-interrupted hours a day is great for business too. I have now made a start on all the plans I’ve had ‘on hold’ due to a lack of time and I’ve been able to take on more freelance work.

The playgroups where I’d drink coffee with the other mums whilst watching my toddler stagger round pushing an activity walker are now business meetings in a City Centre Starbucks. The baby highchair at home has been replaced with a pair of high stools at my breakfast bar. My baggy tunic style tops that cover everything beneath have been phased out and I’m wearing more form fitting shirts and shift dresses.

This next stage of my life is wonderful. I’ve got all these beautiful baby memories of my children without the accompanying sleepless nights and I get to watch them develop as little people, learning to navigate the world without me, and stand on their own two feet. I know how lucky I am – I’m a big believer in living in the moment, noticing what happens each day and not rushing through my life. But this is especially relevant now – in these precious few years before my young school children become teenagers then young adults with lives of their own.

I was brunette until I had children. Became blonde as a mother and now as a life experienced woman who is getting time to pursue her own interests again, I’m embracing these new changes with an outward change. I’m planning to make some wardrobe edits in the coming months, and who knows what other changes will happen. But whatever it is I’m ‘red-dy, steady, go!’



I write a fortnightly column for At Home - the Premier UK celebrity and lifestyle magazine, and this one appeared on their site www.AtHomeMagazine.co.uk a month ago. Do visit At Home and leave me a comment on the post there so they get to see your opinions too!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the Author
Nadine Hill is a busy working mum (“Is there any other kind?!”) who has a fascination with time management which borders on the obsessive! She loves to find more effective ways of doing the daily juggle whilst enjoying the journey and has lots of practise through raising her two children, managing her small business, being a best-selling author, running her home, public speaking and finding time to get to the gym! Nadine’s ambition is to help busy mums claw back a bit of ‘me time’ so she shares her tips with at home in these fortnightly columns and her own life stories on her blog- Juggle Mum.
She also micro blogs on Twitter where she is @Businessmum. You can learn more about Nadine at www.NadineHill.com

2 comments:

  1. The new colour really suits you! The changes you describe are the ones I will go through next September and as much as I am looking forward to them I am also a bit apprehensive to let go of my last baby. I know that it will be good though :) enjoy your new life! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Peggy!
    It's an odd time certainly- and it does require an adjustment period. I'm 6 weeks in now and still getting used to it all!
    But my son has grown up so much in just 6 weeks since starting school. He's definitely not a baby anymore!
    Enjoy your last year with your 'baby' before school starts - hope to see you soon!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me - I love comments! xx

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.