10k Baby!!

In one month from now I'm doing the Race for Life - but this time, it is for a total distance of 10K not the usual 5k!!

This is when I did it last year!

I'm a little nervous if I'm honest because whilst I KNOW I can do 5k, doing double that in one go is a stretch! I go to the gym regularly for zumba and spinning, and I try to run once a week but the past few weeks have seen me failing miserably at that!


This is me in 2010 (left) and 2009 (right). As you can see I managed to shed some weight from 2009 to 2010 and I've shifted even more from 2010 to 2011! I think I've plateaued as my motivation to exercise has dropped somewhat of late. Even though I know I'll feel better when I do it, after a busy day of working and looking after the kids, I want to get in my PJs and eat ice cream on the sofa. By now I would have expected to be doing an 8k run each week, building up to 9k then 10k by June so I'm prepared for the race, but the most I've done so far is 6k.

However being a generally positive person I'm not beating myself up too much about this. I know I'll get there in the end. I trust myself. I have two strong legs that work and so as long as I keep putting one foot in front of the other, I'll get there in the end. Even if it means I collapse after the finish line!

Wish me luck readers, and think of me on 12th June, pounding the track dressed in pink!

Have you ever done Race for Life or do you have any tips for me? Drop me a comment below!

Thanks for reading! You are looking hot today! x

7 comments:

  1. Hi there, I did the London Women's 5k last year for Kids with Leukemia and know it's comign around again and I really need to get back into it. Just finding the time for myself and running is challenging. So here's some encouragement from me BusinessMum, you've done it before you can do it again! V x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professor of DenimologyMay 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM

    You'll do the 10k easy peasy. I did one last June, and I never did any building up to it - like you, around 6k is my usual distance (although it's dropped to a very sluggish 4k now I'm up the duff). Just stick to a modest pace that you know you'll be able to maintain, and when you pass the halfway point you will feel so smug about overtaking all those people who sped off at the start and then slowed to a walk that you'll quite enjoy the last couple of k! Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls, the tips and encouragement mean a lot!! I'm going to have to get my butt out pounding the pavements soon and get back on track!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the run! I agree with Professor of Denimology - I used to be a long distance runner (had to quit because of a serious leg injury), and I didn't do long runs in the immediate preparation for a race. Pacing yourself is the most important thing.

    Don't discount the "runner's high" either - once you break through the feeling exhausted point, it gets really easy for the last mile or so :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Etali- your comment has really helped a lot because the run is in 4 days time and I haven't done any distance running this week so I was starting to worry!
    I think you are right, runners high will get me there and I am excited to be doing it. 10k is a massive achievement for me so in 4 days time I can sit here and say "I did it!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed. I really am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did it guys!
    Thanks for all your support- I ran the 10K in 81 minutes. It isn't the fastest time in the work but I kept up a steady pace throughout and didn't walk once!
    Phew! What a relief!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me - I love comments! xx

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.