Melt into a Good Book like I Did... & Maybe Win One!

This is a sponsored post

I love this time of year as it is the only time when the rest of the world seems to slow down (after the initial chaos!) and we retreat back into our families, taking time to do things like play board games together, try out all the new smellies we got for Christmas or actually read a book!!

Juggling a busy life nowadays makes it tough to find the time to read for pleasure, I know I was speaking to one of the mums at the school gate a few weeks ago and she was an avid reader and nowadays collapses into bed at the end of the day having had no chance at all to read one of the stack of books on her bedside table! I'm the same. Pre-kids, I used to be able to take 14 books on a 2 week holiday with me and read every single one! I'd do a book a day, so much that I love reading, so when Galaxy chocolate said they wanted to send me a few books and some chocolate bars, how could I possibly refuse!! They knew where my soft spot was, the chance to read and a bit of chocolate as well - a perfect night in!!




When my parcel from Galaxy came, it contained 3 books and a few bars of Galaxy -some of the flavours I'd not seen before like Orange & Shortcake. It sounds very Christmassy so I'll have to break that bar out on Christmas Day, but the book I chose to review was one I'd never heard of before and wouldn't normally choose for myself at the book-store. It was called 'Freedom' by Jonathan Franzen.

I like books that I can relate to in some small way, and I liked the main female character Patty. The authors observations of her and of the way she relates to the life around her were really insightful. I admire it when someone is able to articulate themselves in a clear way so that they can be understood by everyone else, and in writing this book, Jonathan Franzen has demonstrated that he can get inside the female mind of his main character and portray her in a believable and empathetic way so I feel as though she is a living, breathing friend of mine.

This book was a winner in the recent Galaxy National Book Awards in November, which is designed to celebrate and promote British Authors and the best books of the year. The Awards covered 9 categories and Jonathan Franzen's book 'Freedom' won the accolade of Galaxy International Author of the Year!

I'm still halfway through this book, it is over 500 pages long and I only get chance to read a few pages in bed before sleep takes over, but I'm enjoying being taken along Patty's journey, and the mysterious twists that the book unfolds the deeper I get into it.

Galaxy has launched a competition to help us all 'melt into a good book' with 1 million books to be won before May 2011. To enter, simply buy a promotional bar of Galaxy and enter the code which is inside the wrapper at this website http://www.galaxybookclub.co.uk/ You will be told straightaway if you are a winner or not, and if you get chance to choose your top two preferences from a list on the site, you will be sent one of them, stocks permitting! *****NOTE: This competition is now closed*****

The five best-selling books that are in the One Million Book Giveaway Competition are

1. Audrey Niffenegger – Her Fearful Symmetry
2. Katie Fforde – Wedding Season
3. Lisa Jewell – The Truth about Melody Browne
4. Jane Green – The Beach House
5. Ian Rankin – Knots & Crosses

However just for readers of Juggle Mum, I have two prizes up for grabs for people who comment on this post!
The books I have to give away are Ian Rankin- Knots & Crosses, which is an Inspector Rebus novel, and Audrey Niffenegger's 'Her Fearful Symmetry'. Audrey also wrote 'The Time Traveler's Wife' which I recently enjoyed watching the movie version of with the gorgeous Eric Bana, so I bet this one is just as good! Plus, I will send a bar of Galaxy chocolate out with the book too so you can have a luxurious night in, just like I did!

*****NOTE: This competition is now closed*****

To win in my competition, you must be based in the UK as I cannot post outside of this area. All you need to do is leave a comment below with your contact details (an email address is fine)and tell me which of the two books would be your preferred one, and I will choose winners randomly from all the entries received by 4th January 2011 when I'll be switching my computer on again after a Christmas break!!

*****NOTE: This competition is now closed*****

In the meantime, you can read author interviews, book snippets and take part in polls at Galaxy's Facebook page: www.facebook.com/galaxy

More information on the Galaxy National Book Awards is at www.galaxynationalbookawards.com

Have a wonderful Christmas and I hope you get a chance to rest and have a bit of 'me time' over the festive period!

I hope you like my blog. I feel like a party host and you are my guests so it's important to me that you feel welcome! Do follow this blog so I know who my guests are! Your support really makes a difference. x

4 comments:

  1. i prefer Ian Rankin- Knots & Crosses

    twitter id - @ashlallan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I'd prefer Ian Rankin – Knots & Crosses as I like crime novels and I've already read Her Fearful Symmetry (a good read). Twitter id @ericahughes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love her fearful symmetry please x twitter @babybudgeting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, lovely giveaway!

    I'd prefer the Ian Rankin if I was lucky enough to win

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me - I love comments! xx

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.