Don't Put Off Your Life..... LIVE NOW!

"I'm going to change my life, find a husband, get a better job, join a gym, earn more money, travel the world, have kids, get a bigger house, swim with dolphins, climb a mountain, read all the books on my list, play with my kids, organise my wardrobe, meet with my friends, look after myself better, clean my kitchen, learn to drive, go to a festival, cook for a dinner party, bake a cake for my child's birthday, get more organised, wear make up, start a business.....
WHEN I HAVE MORE TIME!"

One of the reasons I am SO PASSIONATE about time management (which let's face it - can be seen as quite a boring subject, although I never think so!) is because applying time management techniques to your life means that you CAN do all of the above EVERY DAY - not just 'some day in the future'!

I have always been someone who lives life to the full. I'm 35 years old and hope to be here for many years to come but God forbid if I dropped down dead tomorrow at least I'd go with no regrets. I have lived, I still have a very full life, which I cherish and don't for a second, take for granted.

It saddens me when I hear people saying what they will do 'one day'. Because 'one day' is now. Why put off till tomorrow what can be done today?! This is what my mother used to say to me about homework when I was at school but I think it works well in this context too.

I remember when I was a kid, there used to be clothes that we wore for 'Sunday best'. It wasn't until I became an adult and challenged this little habit that I realised I should just wear my nice stuff whenever I wanted - every day! What point is there in constantly waiting 'till I was going somewhere' before I dressed up? I'm a fashion loving woman! Part of the fun of fashion is getting all dressed up with nowhere to go! Plus who doesn't feel nice when they are dressed well? A little secret part of me deep inside would LOVE to go and collect my daughter from school today wearing my wedding dress which is lovingly boxed in the loft! It was the dress I wore when I was the Queen for the day. I was invincible that day - everyone at the wedding was there to wish me and my husband well - they all came out and made the effort for us! No photo was taken until I was ready! The party didn't start until I got there. Wow! What a fantastic day that was and that dress just makes me feel all those things every time I try it on (which isn't that often but I try to get it out on my anniversary!!) However the sensible side of me tells me that it isn't a good idea to get my daughter wearing that dress, because of the way it will end up throwing a spotlight on her, and kids being kids, it won't generally be in a positive way.

When I was at school in the '70s and early 80s, I remember one of my friends had a very trendy mum who wore these great yeti style knee high boots with her slim leg jeans. She was blonde and slim and looked a bit like Agnetha from ABBA. Now I am a school gate mum myself, I look back and admire the woman for her style, individuality and wearing exactly what she pleased. But at the time as an impressionable 6 year old, I remember how we all used to whisper "Look at Isabel's Mum" behind poor Isabel's back. She just looked so different to the rest of our mums, but with maturity and hindsight, I now know this to be a good thing. She was her own person. However I still wouldn't want to subject my daughter to those whispers - if I turned up looking like the Runaway Bride!

I do however firmly believe in seizing the day and wearing whatever the hell you damn well please if it isn't going to interfere with the children! A couple of years ago I won the chance to broadcast my own 2 hour radio show on BBC Radio Leeds, after winning their "Search for a Star" competition. I was so proud of myself, and when I went to the studios to record the show, I decided to wear my wedding day tiara, because once again I felt like a 'Queen' that day! Here I am wearing my fancy head-dress in their studio!

The funniest thing for me about that day however was that whilst I got a few 'double takes' when I walked round the building, no-one actually asked me about the tiara or said anything about it! I'm sure they thought me eccentric!! I did tell them that I was wearing it because I was technically the Queen for a day again and they understood!

Basically the point of this rant is to say "Go For It!", Live your Dream!, whatever it is in this world that you want to do - then DO IT! And don't hold back.

It is a crying shame if we put off all the possible pleasure we could be reaping when we live the life we choose, for the sake of waiting until everything is perfect, or we lose 5lbs, or when we get the next promotion.

Life is for living! Manage your time to do what you want - the only real success is to live life your own way.

...... Being organised saves time, money and boosts your productivity. To keep up to date with the latest tips on self organisation, follow this blog. Organise yourself by clicking in the 'Follower' box to the left of this post and make a commitment to read and enjoy the tips in this blog!

2 comments:

  1. Giving good explanation about time management to manage the time. Time management is not necessarily about getting lots of stuff done, because much more important than that is making sure that you are working on the right things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree completely with your sentiments. As someone in the time management business, I am quite passionate about managing time better to get more out of life. Time management sounds boring on the surface, but by managing ones time well one can do so many awesome things!!

    All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me - I love comments! xx

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.