Habit control - getting into good habits to make life run more smoothly

Isn’t it hard to change a habit? Like if you wear your watch on the ‘wrong’ wrist, it feels strange at first but over time, the new way will become a habit. It’s the same with habits for productivity.
We all get bombarded with junk mail and bills and the occasional letter or other ‘nice’ communication, but the trick is to stay on top of it because more will come through the post tomorrow. When you get 20 emails, they need to be read and dealt with or deleted because the next day will bring even more! If you text message your friends, it’s best to acknowledge them straightaway as there will only be more texts tomorrow…
I think the message is to deal with things as they crop up. This is certainly the way I organise myself and the family’s admin.
I have several ‘big’ projects on the go at any one time, and I have to diarise some time out each day to concentrate on them. But each day inevitably brings more of the ‘hum drum’ daily activity. Stuff that’s not urgent but is important, so it needs dealing with.
The habit I’ve developed and you can too, is to be ’switched on’ to the task you are doing, when you are doing it. Don’t do anything with ‘half a brain’ on it - give what you do 100% of your concentration then you can move onto the next task faster and knowing that you did a good job on the thing you were working on last.
There are only 3 or 4 activities that I ever do where I allow my mind to wander, and I often get my best ideas when doing them! One is ironing. I quite enjoy it when I get chance because it’s nice to be doing something productive but where I can afford to dream a bit too! The other is sitting in the hot tub at the gym. I lay in the bubbles and stare into space, allowing my mind to wander. I hate to say it but driving is another activity where I can go on ‘autopilot’. Not in a dangerous way and only when I’m familiar with the route I’m taking but I do have some great ideas whilst driving. I keep a dictaphone on the passenger seat at all times so I can dictate any ideas and flashes of inspiration then they are not forgotten! The only other activity would be watching TV which I don’t do much but sometimes it’s nice to put something mindless on when I’m tired and winding down before bed! I don’t really get ideas when watching TV but it does send me to sleep so I get to relax!
For everything else, I’m ‘on the ball’ and present, which is great for me (I get stuff done quicker) it’s great for who I’m with (they always feel valued and important in my presence as I never glaze over when talking to them) and it’s great for my ‘To Do’ list. Tasks done faster = more time to play!!
If you want to learn about time management and running a busy life, just ask someone with a lot of plates to spin like any modern working mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me - I love comments! xx

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.